Friday, June 8, 2007

Pesky at Best

This morning I went out to my computer chair to next to the window hoping to find a rare bird or two nibbling at the bird feeders. Instead, the pesky squirrels were out in abundance! This one little furrier creature decided that whatever it took he/she would find a way into the new nut feeder which rests just a few feet outside my window near my chair. First I tapped on the window and got a glance that said "You want something Bud?" So I decided to tap a little harder which must have scared the squirrel a little be cause it jumped off the feeder and ran a couple of feet to the base of the Sumac Tree which holds the feeder. Looking up and my window the squirrel decided that no harm was done so it was safe to return to the nut feeder.

My next step was to tap the window again, this brought only a few glares and and an attitude that said "you don't scare me". I tried calling the dog, but she was busy taking a nap and certainly didn't want to be disturbed. My next option was to open the wind a crack and this did intimidate the pest as off it ran to the fence. The abstanance was short lived and soon the pesk returned.

I have to say that several of my feeders are well protected from the squirrels so that alleviates some of the aggravation. One of my co-workers has erected a bird feeder and the squirrels have really been annoying him. This morning bright and early he ventured out with his garden hose to spray the pests. For some reason the squirrels didn't like the water, but he did have to spray them about four times in an attempt to keep them away from the bird feeder.

Last night rather than watch reruns on TV I headed out to Lake Evergreen, it certainly was windy. The water was very choppy and the wildlife was sparse. While I saw about twenty deer they were all a good distance from the road. The Canadian Geese were out with their young. We saw a couple small flocks and one large flock of about twenty ducklings. I think this was the largest group I have ever seen.

After studying the pictures and listening to the bird calls I am certain that our Chickadee visitors were Carolina Chickadees. Now that I have switched to mullet and safflower seeds the Starlings and Grackles are not visiting as frequently.

No pictures today, the ones from last night were not much to look at so I decided not to post them.

No comments: