Friday, May 25, 2007

Peregrine Falcon (Tundra)

Another first this noon in my bird observations.

I was heading out of work for lunch nearing my car and heard the screech of a Starling or Grackle in trouble and then flying within five feet of my head. I thought it had flown under a tree and across the street. Upon entering my car and looking out the wind shield about 10 feet in front of my car I saw a beautiful Peregrine Falcon (Tundra) stepping up and down on the prey. What a time to not have my camera! I was able to watch the falcon make sure the bird was dead, have a few bites and then fly off with the bird in tow. The whole incident lasted about two minutes.

I had to turn on my wipers a couple of times to clear the mist from the wind shield but this did not seem to disturb the Falcon. A unique and interesting experience.

No comments: