Tuesday, March 18, 2008

In House Bird Motel - Owner dusts out the flying creature

I think our friendly back yard birds are beginning to take our hospitality a little too far! This fall we had a Rose Breasted Nut Hatch that found its way into our family room at least twice that we know about. Who know how many other times it secretly found it way in.

Tonight I hauled out a few left overs to the birds including a couple grapes that would have been tossed and a bunch of breading from WalMart's chicken livers and the left over fried potatoes. Since I didn't want to waste energy I decided the garbage could be taking out at the same time. Passing through the family room I heard a fluttering sound. The first chore was to get the garbage and leftovers out and then find out what was making the noise. Coming back in I search high and low until the cat pointed to the bird sitting on a small lamp like a decoration. I had left the outside door open to give an exit to whatever was making the noise, but the bird just took comfort in sitting on the lamp. Probably keeping nice and toasty as the lamp was lit with a small wattage bulb.

The cat while desiring to get to the bird is also a bit lazy, and maybe a little blind, so it just stayed underneath the birds perch. After a bit the bird flew toward the window and back to the top of the lazy bow chair. It was now time to find a way to get the bird outside. I decided to open a top window in case the bird flew back toward the window as it wasn't to eager to try the door. In the closet was a extending dust mop which could reach about 6-8 feet. With it fully extended I approached the bird from the side and "zowie" out the window the bird flew!.

In case you are doubting this saga I was able to get a few pictures of our resident Dark eyed Junco sitting on the lamp.


No comments: