Monday, December 4, 2006

Still Fall

Our Downey Woodpecker braving the cold.



A Northern Cardinal in a very icy tree.



Woodpecker feeding on the plugged suet feeder.



Ice covered tree in back yard.



Woodpecker and squirrel feeding side by side.



I looked at my calendar this morning and realized that Winter will not be here until December 22! Wonder if mother nature knows that? The ice from Thursday night is still hanging on the trees and it is a wonder that more limbs aren't falling. Maybe the wind hasn't been as strong the last few days.

We have a house in our neighborhood that is rental property and in the past has been rented to athletes at ISU. They had a fire several years ago and since I haven't seen much activity. I know the owner had repairs done including taking out the front basement wall and replacing it. Well, he has another chore as a hugh tree limb is lying across his roof. I suspect that he might have a hole in the roof although you can not see an actual hole from the street. I need to get a picture as it is quite unusual. My wife called the NPD as we do not actually know the owner's name but she had little confidence that the owner would be notified based upon the questions she had to answer. No it isn't a hazard and no electrical wires are down, just thought you might have access to the owners name so he could be notified.

My friend "Thedecrepidoldfool" sent me a cartoon about this loading up his car with bird feed, I wonder if he had seen my car with the bag of bird seed in the back seat? The last time I was at Wild Birds Unlimited I had a free bag coming so I ended up with two bags. The pests, either squirrels, possums or raccoons get into the seed if left in the garage and my wife will only allow so much in the house so I left one of the bags in the car.

The birds have been feeding in our back yard this week end. Our Downey Woodpecker sure likes the suet we put out and the Starlings love to try and get to the suet. We have a suet feeder that has the suet underneath and the Downey can easily get there and hold on, but the Starlings really have to work at it as they can not hold on like the Downey. It is fun to watch the Starlings try to imitate a Humming Bird as they hover underneath the suet feeder and dart up and down until they tire.

This year we only have a couple of squirrels, and they don't seem to smart. Placed the corn out Friday and they still haven't found it. My wife thinks that they are just to lazy as they would rather gather the dropped seed on the ground then have to climb the post and lean over and grab the corn.

No comments: